Belle loves to read other food blogs, and she’s always finding dishes that she wants me to try. This salmon with white beans, leeks and shiitake mushrooms is very nice, and uses this white beans with leeks and shiitake mushrooms from The Kitchen Witch, which is based on a Jamie Oliver recipe. I prepared it a little differently but wanted to give The Kitchen Witch a big thanks for the idea.
The Kitchen Witch suggests using the beans as a bed for salmon and this sounded good to us; however, rather than BBQ salmon, I decided to make one of our favourite salmon recipes, which is based on a slow cooked salmon dish from Nobu Matsuhisa’s Nobu West.
I usually place the salmon on a bed of sautéed shredded snow peas but this time we used the white beans, leeks and shiitake.
2 salmon fillets, skinned and boned
1.5 tbsp sake
1.5 tbsp light soy sauce
1.5 tbsp dashi*
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
2.5 tbsp butter
2 cloves garlic sliced
1. Combine all the ingredients in a re-sealable freezer bag along with the salmon.
2. Bring a large pot of water to 65 degrees F. You will need a thermometer for this as you must maintain that temperature for the entire 12 minutes the salmon will be cooking.
3. Place bag with the salmon in the hot water and maintain at 65 degrees F. Cook for 12 minutes.
4. Remove bag from water, then the salmon from bag carefully so it doesn’t fall apart. Place on the bed of white beans, leeks and shiitake mushrooms.
5. Garnish with pea sprouts.
You can make dashi from water, konbu and bonito flakes. I often do this but this time I used the granulated package type and just added boiling water.
1 litre (1 quart) water
10g (0.35 oz) konbu
30g (1.06 oz) bonito flakes
1. Heat the water and konbu in a saucepan over medium heat slowly.
2. As the water is about to boil, remove the konbu and add the bonito flakes. Remove from the heat.
3. Let the dashi steep. The dashi is done when the bonito flakes have sunk to the bottom. Strain.
For the package method just follow the directions on the package (make up as much as you need).
White Beans, Leeks and Shiitake Mushrooms (from The Kitchen Witch)
3 leeks cleaned and julienned
2 chopped shallots
4 cloves of garlic chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 cup dry white wine
2 cups shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
2 cups cooked white beans
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp fresh thyme
1. Heat oil and butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Add leeks, shallots and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Add wine. Bring to the boil and then simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add mushrooms, white beans and thyme. Bring back to the boil, cover, then reduce to low heat and simmer 10 minutes.
5. Adjust taste with salt and pepper.
Print This Recipe