I am fairly new to baking (as witnessed in my crust for the Jamiacan-spiced pumpkin pie) but I am very interested in it. I’m hopeful that if I continue, eventually I will get the knack. I’m not complaining about the taste, just the presentation. I especially would like to be able to make all different types of breads, as they are really fun to make.
Belle found this recipe for Spicy Spiral Bread on Amber’s Delectable Delights. Amber includes a list of optional ingredients all of which Belle asked me to include. So I did!
Belle says: This bread was so delicious, and what I liked best was that it contained beans instead of meat, making it perfect for everyone in the family. I love savory breads, and the optional ingredients were perfect!
Spicy Spiral Bread (from Amber’s Delectable Delights)
2-1/2 tsp dry active yeast
1/4 cup hot water
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup corn meal
1-1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp chipotle chili pepper powder
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup water
14 oz (398 ml) organic refried beans
10.5 oz (300 gm) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1-1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 cup diced onions
8 oz sliced black olives
2 jalapenos peppers seeded and diced
1/4 cup salsa (hot)
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast and the hot water and let sit 5-6 minutes until frothy.
- Add the flour, corn meal, sea salt, chili powder and sugar to the yeast and mix in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment on slow speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly add the water and oil and continue to mix on slow speed for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove bowl from mixer, remove dough from bowl, and form into a round ball. Spray mixer bowl with non-stick spray then place dough in bowl. Spray top of dough with more non-stick spray, then cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a draft-free place for 2 hours. (When you think about it, how many of us have drafty places in our home? Most homes are draft-free now unless you count an open window, so really we could just say don’t put the bowl in front of an open window!)
- Roll dough out on a floured surface to 8” x 24”.
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling in a large bowl and spread on the dough leaving a 1” space around the edges so the filling won’t spill out when rolled. Fold over the short ends.
- Spray a 9” round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spiral the dough into the cake pan, seam side down and flatten it down so it fills in all the parts of the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise 1-2 hours.
- After 1 hour and 15 minutes the bread looked like this and I was happy so I removed the cover and prepared to bake it.
- Pre-heat to 350 degrees F and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove bread and place on wire rack to cool.
- When cool, remove bread from pan and enjoy.