I just went to Amazon and see that The Barbeque Bible! is now a colour edition – my copy is in black and white. I’m thinking about ordering the colour edition myself because my copy is now very messy (I’ve used this book so often!)
This is a very easy dish to make. You can add these as a last minute thought when you are cooking something else on the barbeque, like Grilled Baby Bok Choy.
The picture isn’t very exciting but don’t let it fool you.
Belle says: This eggplant dish is the same dish we’ve ordered in many different Japanese restaurants. It’s delicious, and filling enough to be the main course of a vegetarian meal!
Grilled Eggplant with Miso Barbeque Sauce
Adapted from The Barbeque Bible! by Steven Raichlen
4-6 Asian eggplants (the long thin ones)
1/3 cup organic white miso
1 tbsp sake
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp mayonnaise
2-3 tbsp dark sesame oil for brushing
- Pre-heat your BBQ for direct grilling’; clean and oil the grates.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise. Make criss-cross cuts into the eggplants about 1/8″ deep and very close together on the flesh side.
- Mix the miso, sake, mirin, sugar and mayonaise together in a bowl until smooth.
- Place eggplants flesh side down on the BBQ and grill 3-5 minutes (until brown).
- Using tongs, turn the eggplants over and brush with the miso mixture.
- Continue grilling 6-8 minutes or until brown and soft from the sides.