These Roasted Potatoes with Garlic Dip were a big hit at our tapas party and Belle asked me to make it the next day since she didn’t get a chance to try any at the party the night before – that’s how fast they went (and I made two batches!).
I think these potatoes will become a standard in our home just like Classic Thai Rice, Thai Pineapple Rice or Crazy Rice. They are dead simple to make but they do require the roasting time.
For the party I made them with regular white potatoes, cut in half and then quartered, but the next day I decided to use the small round new potatoes (red and white) cut in half – these were, I think better. Try it with any type of potato you like. For the standard white potatoes I peeled them first but for the new potatoes I didn’t, although I gave them a good scrub when I washed them.
The Garlic Dip
Belle’s note: These potatoes were simply delicious. Great on their own, of course, but the garlic dip turned them into a dish to rave about. Ward’s been having a great time lately playing around with ingredients and coming up with his own creations, and this one will become one of our own classics, I think!
Roasted Potatoes with Garlic Dip
3 lb potatoes, peeled, halved and quartered or 3 lb new potatoes, halved
2-3 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tsp sea salt
10 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 tbsp olive oil
5 tbsp sour cream
4 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp paprika or more to taste
sea salt to taste
- Pre-heat an oven to 400 degrees F. (200 degrees C.)
- Place the potato pieces in a large bowl and toss with the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and salt and toss to combine.
- Coat a large baking pan (or 2 medium pans) with non-stick vegetable spray.
- Add the potatoes and roast for approximately 1-1/4 hours. You want them soft on the inside and crisp and light brown on the outside.
- Meanwhile the dip: Whisk the garlic, olive oil, sour cream, mayonnaise together.
- Add the paprika and adjust the amount to taste.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve.
- Transfer potatoes to serving dish.